249 West 45th Street
New York 10036
In 1923 the New York Times reported that the new theatre being built at 249 West Forty-fifth Street by the Shuberts was the fiftieth playhouse that the theatrical brothers from Syracuse had built in the New York City area. Their latest theatre was the Imperial and it was obviously designed by Herbert J. Krapp as a musical comedy house, with a large seating capacity of 1,650 seats. The Imperial has been the Shuberts' pride since it opened, housing some of Broadway's most notable and successful musicals.