236 West 45th Street
New York 10036
Built back-to-back, the Plymouth and its companion the Broadhurst were meant to evoke the style of the neighboring Henry B Herts designed Shubert and Booth theaters using less expensive materials. These first theaters designed by Herbert J Krapp use patterned brick and terra cotta materials on the facades. This is an especially nice execution of Krapp's lavish Adamesque interiors, for which he would become noted, and is individually landmarked The Shuberts built the Plymouth for, and in partnership with, producer Arthur Hopkins. In this age of producer-cum-impresario-cum-entrepreneur Hopkins had the singular approach of wanting to only offer 'high-brow' productions by the likes of Ibsen and Tolstoy. His formula worked for the Plymouth. Operating the theater for years after Hopkins death, the Shuberts purchased the Plymouth outright in 1948; it remains a Shubert Organization property today. The Plymouth was designated a New York City landmark in December 1987.